Physical Therapy Compact
Physical Therapy Compact (Act 524)
On May 23, 2018, Gov. John Bel Edwards signed Senate Bill 203, the Physical Therapy Licensure Compact, into law in Louisiana (Act 524).
As of Monday, July 22, 2019 Louisiana is an active member state in the PT Compact. Licensees who are domiciled in Louisiana are eligible to apply through the Compact Commission for a privilege to practice physical therapy in other states participating in the Compact without having to go through the process of getting licensed in the states where they are not domiciled. To view the PT Compact Commission's official press release, click here.
Some eligibility requirements apply. For individuals who are not eligible, Louisiana-domiciled licensees can practice in other states by obtaining a license in each state where they wish to practice. For Louisiana-domiciled licensees who obtain a privilege to practice in the states where the Compact is in effect, those licensees will only need to renew their Louisiana license on the date when the Louisiana license expires. At the time of renewal, the Louisiana-domiciled licensee may choose which other states they wish to apply for a privilege to practice and all privileges to practice will expire on the date that the Louisiana license expires. Should a licensee move entirely to a new state, they will need to seek licensure in the state where they are domiciled.
To access the Physical Therapy Compact Comission Rules, please click here.
If you are a Louisiana licensee seeking a privilege in another state:
- To review the fees and Jurisprudence requirements in the state in which you wish to purchase a privilege to practice, click here.
- To purchase your privilege to practice, visit www.ptcompact.org.
If you are from another state and seeking a privilege in Louisiana:
- Louisiana requires that you pass our Jurisprudence exam prior to purchasing your privilege to practice in Louisiana.
- You must take the exam through the link provided on the Compact Comission's website which can be found here. Please do not create an account on our state website. This is for applicants seeking licensure in Louisiana and current licensees, not for those seeking Compact privileges. All Compact transactions must be completed through the Compact website. Any individual who creates an account through this website and completes the Jurisprudence exam for applicants and licensees will have their result voided and be directed to take the appropriate exam via the Compact Commission's website.
Verify a Compact Privilege:
- To verify an indivdiual's compact privilege to practice in Louisiana, please click here to be redirected to the Compact Commission's verification page.