Instructions to Reinstate your License
Step 1: Set up a User Account and Pass the Jurisprudence Exam
- From an Internet Browser, go to www.laptboard.org
- Located at the top of the Home page, select “LOGIN”
- Click on “No account? Sign up!”
- Select "I am a Physical Therapist/Physical Therapist Assistant” and type in the required information.
• Remember to write down the password that you create.
• Be advised that the information you use to create your account must match exactly what we have in our database. If any of your information has changed or if you are unable to set up your account, contact the board office for assistance.
- Click “Create Account”
- Log in using your email address and password that you used to create your account. It will take you to your Dashboard
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam - All applicants must make a 75% or higher to pass the Board's online jurisprudence. The exam is free of charge and consists of 20 questions from the Louisiana Practice Act and Rules.
• To take the exam online, click the link at the top of your Dashboard, and then click on “Jurisprudence Exam”
Step 2: Complete the Paper Application
- Click here to obtain the application.
- Complete the application by typing in the fields.
- Print the entire application and sign each page.
- Have the complete application notarized.
All information must be sent to the Board office at 104 Fairlane Drive, Lafayette, LA 70507.
- Your complete, original, signed and notarized application
- Passport-Sized Photo - If you have not updated your photo within the five years previous to this application, submit one (1) recent passport size photograph (taken within six (6) months of the application date) to be used for identification purposes. Write your full name on the back on the photo. You may also email your photo to Licensing@Laptboard.org. Emailed photos must be in the form of a .jpg and you must include your full name in the email.
- Payment in the form of a domestic cashier's check or money order made payable to Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. (see Fee Schedule for payment amount)
Step 4: Continuing Education Compliance
Provide proof in the form of course completed certificates of Continuing Education compliance from all jurisdictions in which the applicant has held an active license in the previous 24 months along with a personal statement explaining the requirements of each jurisdiction.
For applicants who failed to timely renew their license, you do not need to complete the following steps. If you allowed your license to lapse for reasons other than failing to timely renew, please complete the following additional steps.
Step 5: Letters of Recommendation
Please submit two letters of character recommendation as stated in §187.E.6.
Step 6: Verification of licensure from all states in which you currently hold a license/permit OR have ever been licensed
If you have ever been licensed, certified or registered (including temporary permits) to practice in the profession for which you are now making application, a written verification of licensure is required. You must provide verification for each jurisdiction in which you were granted a permit or license. Contact the licensing board where you are requesting verification for their instructions. Written verification of licensure must be forwarded directly from the licensing board to the Louisiana Physical Therapy Board.
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board
104 Fairlane Drive
Lafayette, LA 70507
§187. G. Any person whose license has lapsed for more than five years may apply for reinstatement of licensure upon payment of the renewal fee and the reinstatement fee under the following conditions:
- licensee shall be subject to a three month period of supervised clinical practice;
- licensee may only practice under the on-premises supervision of a board approved PT who has practiced no less than three years with a Louisiana license in good standing;
- completion of the General Practice Review Tool offered by the FSBPT and satisfactory completion of continuing education courses indicated by that tool to bring the Applicant’s knowledge to current standards.
- a supervision agreement must be approved by the executive director before a provisional license will be issued. The supervision agreement shall be in force for the entire three month supervisory period. This licensee may only practice in those facilities and under the supervision of the PT named in the approved supervision agreement. Any change in practice site or supervisor must be submitted in a revised supervision agreement prior to the change taking place. At the end of the supervisory period, the Supervising PT of Record shall report to the board the satisfactory or unsatisfactory completion of the supervision period. If an unsatisfactory supervision period is reported by the Supervising PT of Record, the board, in its discretion, may require an additional three month supervisory period; and
- completion of remedial courses which may be prescribed by the board.
The application fee must be submitted in the form of a domestic cashier's check or a money order and made payable to the
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. A personal check is not acceptable and your application will be returned.
Please review Rule §187 for reinstatement fee information.
FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE