Initial/Examination Foreign Educated
A passing score on the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) is required prior to being issued a provisional license to complete the supervised clinical period.
Step 1: Set up a User Account and Apply Online
- Located at the bottom of the Home page, select “Apply for a License”.
- Click on “No account? Sign up!”.
- Select “New Applicant”, type in your information, and create a password.
- Click “Create Account”.
- Log in using the email address and password that you used to create your account. It will take you to your Dashboard.
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam - All applicants must make a 75% or higher to pass the Board's online jurisprudence. The exam is free of charge and consists of 40 questions from the Louisiana Practice Act and Rules.
• To take the exam online, click the link at the top of your Dashboard.
- Complete the Online Application - Click the link at the top of your Dashboard, or go to www.laptboard.org/apply.
• Please be advised that once you complete the online application, you will not be able go back and edit it. Put your school’s name and anticipated graduation date on the application.
• Print and sign each page of the completed application. The Applicant’s Oath will need to be signed and notarized.
• Mail the entire packet, along with all other information stated in step 2 to the Board office.
All information must be sent to the Board office at 2110 W Pinhook Road, Suite 202, Lafayette, LA 70508.
Emailed copies of your documents will NOT be accepted.
- Your complete, original, signed and notarized application.
- Official Transcript - The transcript must not be a copy and must be mailed directly from the school to the Board. When you request a final transcript from your institution, verify that the transcript states that the degree was conferred or awarded.
- Passport-Sized Photo - Submit one (1) 2 in. x 2in. recent passport-type photograph (taken within six (6) months of the application date) to be used for identification purposes. Computer-printed photos are not acceptable and will delay the processing of your application. Photos must be on standard photographic paper. Write your full name on the back of the photo and attach it to your application packet. *Photos must be only of the applicant and cannot include animals or other people. You must be fully dressed in the photo, no tank tops or other revealing clothing.
- Payment in the form of a domestic cashier's check or money order made payable to Louisiana Physical Therapy Board (see Fee Schedule for payment amount)
- Proper form of identification to prove identity and authorization to work in the United States. A copy of your social security card must be submitted. You must also submit a copy of your Driver's License (front and back) or your passport. If you are not a citizen of the United States, submit proper documentation evidencing that you have obtained legal authority to work in the United States. *Please do not submit originals as they will not be mailed back
Step 3: Complete Background Check
An official background check report from the La State Police must be received by the LAPT Board office prior to the board office being able to make candidates eligible for the NPTE.
Completion time varies from 1 to 8 weeks, depending on circumstances. Criminal history rap sheet findings will extend the completion time. Note that inadequate fingerprints and incorrect payment amount (either too much or too little) will result in delays with the Louisiana State Police.
Option 1: Mail forms, payment, and fingerprint cards to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Recommended for applicants who are not able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 6-8 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option A.
**If your local police department has a digital fingerprint scanner, LSP Headquarters should accept these prints. You must still submit the same forms. This may help decrease the processing time compared to traditional fingerprint cards.
Option 2: Present in-person to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Recommended for applicants who are able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 2-3 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option B.
Resources for completing the Background Check
Visit www.fsbpt.org for more details.
Once you take the exam, FSBPT will send the Board your score report.
§169.A. The Board adopts a criterion–referenced passing point of 600 which is based on a scale ranging from 200 to 800.
NOTE: You may apply for a provisional license pending examination. To obtain a provisional license, you must complete all required procedures plus submit a Supervisory Request Form to the Board office. Your Supervisory Request Form must be submitted no fewer than 5 business days prior to your employment start date.
A foreign graduate PT applicant must submit to the board a credentials evaluation of professional education and training prepared by a board-approved credentialing entity using the Course Work Tool. The credential report must have been prepared no more than eighteen months prior to the date of the application for licensure, and must be submitted to the board directly by the credential evaluation agency. The applicant is responsible for any expense associated with the credentials evaluation.
- The credentials evaluation must provide documentation that the applicant's education from outside a state or territory of the US is substantially equivalent to the education of a PT who has graduated from a physical therapy education program accredited by CAPTE. The evaluation must also establish that the institution at which the applicant received their physical therapy education is recognized by the Ministry of Education or an equivalent agency in that country.
- To determine substantial equivalency, the credentialing evaluation entity shall use a Course Work Tool (CWT) adopted by the FSBPT and approved by the board.
- To determine substantial equivalency, the entity shall use the version of the CWT in place at the time of entry by the applicant into the US.
- To be considered substantially equivalent to the requirements established in this rule, the applicant's foreign education must contain evidence of the content and distribution of coursework identified in the appropriate coursework evaluation tool identified in Paragraph D.3 of this rule.
- An evaluation prepared by a credentialing agency reflects only the findings and conclusion of that agency, and shall not bind the Board. If the board determines that the applicant's education is not substantially equivalent to an entry-level physical therapy program accredited by CAPTE, the Board will notify the applicant in writing, identifying the deficiencies.
Organizations recognized by USCIS to issue Healthcare Worker Certificates
Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT)
Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
Organizations licensed to use the FSBPT Coursework Tool (CWT)
Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT)
International Consultants of Delaware, Inc. (ICD)
International Education Research Foundation, Inc. (IERF)
Step 6: Interview with Board Representative
The purpose of the interview is to discuss license requirements, fees, examination process, renewal requirements, continuing education, and practice issues including prohibitions, disciplinary procedures, supervision of support personnel and temporary permit holders.
Upon receipt of completed application and payment of fees, a personal interview will be scheduled with a Board Representative at the Board office in Lafayette. Applicants must present the following ORIGINAL documents at the time of the interview:
- Original Physical Therapist or Physical Therapist Assistant Diploma. If you can not locate your diploma, you may request from your graduating school that they send the Board your transcript. The transcript must not be a copy and must be mailed directly from the school to the Board.
- Proper form of identification - Original U.S. Passport. If you do not have a passport, you may present your original Driver's License and Social Security Card.
Please refer to your checklist for updates on your application status.
The application fee must be submitted in the form of a domestic cashier's check or a money order and made payable to the
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. A personal check is not acceptable and your application will be returned.
A license issued to an applicant for the first time shall be for a term of one year or two years, to be determined by the birth year of the applicant (Rule §175.C). THIS FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE
- Even Birth Year & Odd Application Year $250
- Odd Birth Year & Even Application Year $250
- Even Birth Year & Even Application Year $390
- Odd Birth Year & Odd Application Year $390