Initial/Examination CAPTE Graduates
As of August 25, 2021, Louisiana is now an Alternate Approval Pathway (AAP) state for those graduating from CAPTE accredited PT or PTA programs. After an individual has registered for the NPTE, FSBPT will be responsible for making them eligible to test if they have chosen Louisiana. Please be advised, it is still recommended that those seeking licensure in Louisiana begin their licensure process prior to receiving a passing score in order to avoid delays in license issuance upon graduation from their PT or PTA program.
For those seeking ADA accommodations to test, FSBPT will be responsible for reviewing and approving such requests. More information can be accessed via the links below.
It is hightly recommended that applicants complete the steps below in order. Please be advised that deviating from this order may delay your application process.
Read completely prior to beginning the application process. It is advised that applicants follow the steps in the order they are written.
Step 1: Set up a User Account and Apply Online
- Located at the bottom of the Home page, select “Apply for a License”.
- Click on “No account? Sign up!”.
- Select “New Applicant”, type in your information, and create a password.
*It is recommended that applicants do not to use a university email address as most students eventually lose access to their school email accounts.*
- Click “Create Account”.
- Log in using the email address and password that you used to create your account. It will take you to your Dashboard.
- Complete the Online Application - Click the link at the top of your Dashboard, or go to www.laptboard.org/apply.
• Please be advised that once you complete the online application, you will not be able to go back and edit it. Put your school’s name and anticipated graduation date on the application.
•Application fees are payable via Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or AMEX.
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam - All applicants must make a 75% or higher to pass the Board's online jurisprudence. The exam is free of charge and consists of 40 questions from the Louisiana Practice Act and Rules.
• To take the exam online, click the link at the top of your Dashboard.
- Complete the Minimum Data Set (MDS) Survey
• You will be given a password at the end of the survey to enter into the passcode field on your applicant checklist. Answer all questions to the best of your ability. If the question is not applicable to your situation, enter n/a.
- Official Transcript - The transcript must not be a copy and must be sent directly from the school to the Board.Transcripts may be sent via postal mail or emailed to Transcripts@laptboard.org. When you request a final transcript from your institution, verify that the transcript states that the degree was conferred or awarded.
- Passport-Sized Photo - Upload one (1) 2 in. x 2in. recent passport-type photograph (taken within six (6) months of the application date) to be used for identification purposes.
• Applicants most commonly use photos taken for passports.
•Photos must be only of the applicant and cannot include animals or other people. You must be fully dressed in the photo, no tank tops or other revealing clothing.
- Upload proper form of identification to prove identity and authorization to work in the United States. A copy of your social security card must be submitted. You must also submit either a copy of your Driver's License (front and back) or your passport. If you are not a citizen of the United States, submit proper documentation evidencing that you have obtained legal authority to work in the United States.
All documents should be scans of the original and not pictures taken with phones or tablets.
Step 3: Complete Background Check
All applicants must complete the online application prior to starting the background check process.
Completion time varies from 1 to 8 weeks, depending on circumstances. Criminal history rap sheet findings will extend the completion time. Note that inadequate fingerprints and incorrect payment amount (either too much or too little) will result in delays with the Louisiana State Police.
Option 1: Mail forms, payment, and fingerprint cards to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Recommended for applicants who are not able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 6-8 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option A.
Option 2: Present in-person to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Recommended for applicants who are able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 2-3 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option B.
Please make sure you come with the appropriate Authorization Form (with the Board information and contact signature at the top) and a Rap Disclosure form completed, driver license /DL and payment (money orders, debit/credit card). All money orders must be made payable to Louisiana State Police.
Resources for completing the Background Check
OPTIONAL: Apply for a Provisional License (pending examination)
A provisional license is available when the NPTE is only offered on limited fixed dates (§172.A). A provisional license shall be issued for 90 days (§172.B). To obtain a provisional license, you must complete ALL steps above plus submit a Supervisory Request Form to the Board office.
When selecting your issue date for your provisional license, applicants are encouraged to consider the date they will sit for the NPTE. Your provisional license is only valid for 90 days.
Your Supervisory Request Form must be submitted no fewer than 5 business days (which excludes weekends) prior to your employment start date.
Provisional licenses will be issued after all application components are received and on the issue date entered on the form. The notice will be sent via email.
Please refer to your checklist for updates on your application status.
The application fee must be submitted in the form of a domestic cashier's check or a money order and made payable to the
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. A personal check is not acceptable and your application will be returned.
A license issued to an applicant for the first time shall be for a term of one year or two years, to be determined by the birth year of the applicant (Rule §175.C). THIS FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Even Birth Year & Odd Application Year $250
- Odd Birth Year & Even Application Year $250
- Even Birth Year & Even Application Year $390
- Odd Birth Year & Odd Application Year $390