Initial/Examination CAPTE Graduates
Read completely prior to begining the application process
Step 1: Set up a User Account and Apply Online
- From an Internet Browser, go to www.laptboard.org.
- Located at the bottom of the Home page, select “Apply for a License”.
- Click on “No account? Sign up!”.
- Select “I am a New Applicant” and type in your first name, last name, email address, and create a password.
- Click “Create Account”.
- Log in using your email address and password that you used to create your account. It will take you to your Dashboard.
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam - All applicants must make a 75% or higher to pass the Board's online jurisprudence. The exam is free of charge and consists of 20 questions from the Louisiana Practice Act and Rules.
• To take the exam online, click the link at the top of your Dashboard.
- Complete the Online Application - Click the link at the top of your Dashboard, or go to www.laptboard.org/apply.
• Please be advised that once you complete the online application, you will not be able to go back and edit it. If you are planning to graduate, put your school’s name and anticipated graduation date on the application.
• Print and sign each page of the completed application. The Applicant’s Oath will need to be signed and notarized.
• Mail the entire packet, along with all other information stated in step 2 to the Board office.
All information must be sent to the Board office at 104 Fairlane Drive, Lafayette, LA 70507.
- Your complete, original, signed and notarized application.
- Diploma (copy) - If you cannot locate your diploma, you may request from your graduating school that they send the Board your transcript. The transcript must not be a copy and must be mailed directly from the school to the Board. When you request a final transcript from your institution, verify that the transcript states that the degree was conferred or awarded.
- Passport-Sized Photo - Submit one (1) recent passport type and size photograph (taken within six (6) months of the application date) to be used for identification purposes. Write your full name on the back on the photo. Please attach your photo to your application packet. *Photos must be only of the applicant and cannot include animals or other people.
- Payment in the form of a domestic cashier's check or money order made payable to Louisiana Physical Therapy Board (see Fee Schedule for payment amount)
- Proper form of identification to prove identity and authorization to work in the United States. You may submit a copy of your Driver's License (front and back) and Social Security Card. You may substitute a copy of your passport for your Driver's License. If you are not a citizen of the United States, submit proper documentation evidencing the fact that you have obtained legal authority to work in the United States. *Please do not submit originals as they will not be mailed back.
*Emailed copies of your documents will NOT be accepted.
Step 3: Complete Background Check
Completion time varies from 1 to 8 weeks, depending on circumstances. Criminal history rap sheet findings will extend the completion time. Note that inadequate fingerprints and incorrect payment amount (either too much or too little) will result in delays with the Louisiana State Police. The affidavit and proof of submission must be mailed to 104 Fairlane Drive, Lafayette, LA 70507.
Option 1: Mail forms, payment, and fingerprint cards to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Recommended for applicants who are not able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 6-8 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option A.
Option 2: Present in-person to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Recommended for applicants who are able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 2-3 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option B.
Option 3: Complete a Background Check Affidavit. This option requires completion of Option 1 above.
Recommended for applicants who are not able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, but are in need of a license sooner than 8 weeks. Completion time for this option is approximately 2-3 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option C.
Step 4: Forward Certificate of Dean to Graduating School
Click the link below to print the Certificate of Dean Form. Applicant must fill out the form completely and forward to the applicant's Physical Therapy or Physical Therapist Assistant School verifying completion and graduation from that program. This form must be forwarded to the Board by the school. A copy of the applicant's marriage certificate is required if the degree was received in the applicant's maiden name.
Step 5: Register for the NPTE
Visit www.fsbpt.org for more details.
Once you take the exam, FSBPT will send the Board your score report.
§169.A. The Board adopts a criterion–referenced passing point of 600 which is based on a scale ranging from 200 to 800.
OPTIONAL: Apply for a Provisional License (pending examination)
A provisional license is available when the NPTE is only offered on limited fixed dates (§172.A). A provisional license shall be issued for 90 days (§172.B). To obtain a provisional license, you must complete ALL steps above plus submit a Supervisory Request Form to the Board office.
Please refer to your checklist for updates on your application status.
The application fee must be submitted in the form of a domestic cashier's check or a money order and made payable to the
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. A personal check is not acceptable and your application will be returned.
A license issued to an applicant for the first time shall be for a term of one year or two years, to be determined by the birth year of the applicant (Rule §175.C). THIS FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Even Birth Year & Odd Application Year $250
- Odd Birth Year & Even Application Year $250
- Even Birth Year & Even Application Year $390
- Odd Birth Year & Odd Application Year $390