Reciprocity for Foreign Educated PTs and PTAs
Step 1: Set up a User Account and Apply Online
- From an Internet Browser, go to www.laptboard.org.
- Located at the bottom of the Home page, select “Apply for a License”.
- Click on “No account? Sign up!”
- Select “I am a New Applicant” and type in your first name, last name, email address, and create a password.
- Click “Create Account”.
- Log in using your email address and password that you used to create your account. It will take you to your Dashboard.
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam - All applicants must make a 75% or higher to pass the Board's online jurisprudence. The exam is free of charge and consists of 20 questions from the Louisiana Practice Act and Rules.
• To take the exam online, click the link at the top of your Dashboard, and then click on “Jurisprudence Exam”.
- Complete the Online Application - Click the link at the top of your Dashboard, or go to www.laptboard.org/apply
• Please be advised that once you complete the online application, you will not be able go back and edit it. If you are planning to graduate, put your school’s name and anticipated graduation date on the application.
• Print and sign each page of the completed application. The Applicant’s Oath will need to be signed and notarized
• Mail the entire packet, along with all other information stated in step 2 to the Board office
All information must be sent to the Board office at 2110 W Pinhook Road, Suite 202 Lafayette, LA 70508.
- Your complete, original, signed and notarized application
- Diploma (copy) - If you can not locate your diploma, you may request from your graduating school that they send the Board your transcript. The transcript must not be a copy and must be mailed directly from the school to the Board.
- Passport-Sized Photo - Submit one (1) recent passport type and size photograph (taken within six (6) months of the application date) to be used for identification purposes. Write your full name on the back on the photo. Please attach your photo to your application packet. *Photos must be only of the applicant and cannot include animals or other people.
- Payment in the form of a domestic cashier's check or money order made payable to Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. (see Fee Schedule for payment amount)
- Proper form of identification to prove identity and authorization to work in the United States, if applicable. You may submit a copy of your Driver's License (front and back) and Social Security Card. You may substitute a copy of your passport for your Driver's License. If you are not a citizen of the United States, submit proper documentation evidencing the fact that you have obtained legal authority to work in the United States. *Please do not submit originals as they will not be mailed back.
*Emailed copies of your documents will NOT be accepted.
Step 3: Complete Background Check
Completion time varies from 1 to 8 weeks, depending on circumstances. Criminal history rap sheet findings will extend the completion time. Note that inadequate fingerprints and incorrect payment amount (either too much or too little) will result in delays with the Louisiana State Police.
** Fee increase for Background Checks **
Effective January 1, 2019, the background check processing fee will be $39.25 (it is currently $38).
Option 1: Mail forms, payment, and fingerprint cards to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Recommended for applicants who are not able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 6-8 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option A.
Option 2: Present in-person to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Recommended for applicants who are able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 2-3 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option B.
Step 4: Forward Certificate of Dean to Graduating School
Click the link below to print the Certificate of Dean Form. Applicant must fill out the form completely and forward to the applicant's Physical Therapy or Physical Therapist Assistant School verifying completion and graduation from that program. This form must be forwarded to the Board by the school. A copy of the applicant's marriage certificate is required if the degree was received in the applicant's maiden name.
Step 5: Verification of licensure from all states in which you currently hold a license/permit OR have ever been licensed
If you have ever been licensed, certified or registered (including temporary permits) to practice in the profession for which you are now making application, a written verification of licensure is required. You must provide verification for each jurisdiction in which you were granted a permit or license. Contact the licensing board where you are requesting verification for their instructions. Written verification of licensure must be forwarded directly from the licensing board to the Louisiana Physical Therapy Board.
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board
2110 W Pinhook Road
Lafayette, LA 70508
Step 6: Continuing Education Compliance
Provide proof in the form of course completed certificates of Continuing Education compliance from all jurisdictions in which the applicant has held an active license in the previous 24 months along with a personal statement explaining the requirements of each jurisdiction.
Step 7: Credentials Evaluation
A foreign graduate PT applicant must submit to the board a credentials evaluation of professional education and training prepared by a board-approved credentialing entity using the Course Work Tool. The board will maintain a list of approved credentialing entities on its website. The credential report must have been prepared no more than eighteen months prior to the date of the application for licensure, and must be submitted to the board directly by the credential evaluation agency. The applicant is responsible for any expense associated with the credentials evaluation.
- The credentials evaluation must provide documentation that the applicant's education from outside a state or territory of the US is substantially equivalent to the education of a PT who has graduated from a physical therapy education program accredited by CAPTE. The evaluation must also establish that the institution at which the applicant received his physical therapy education is recognized by the Ministry of Education or an equivalent agency in that country.
- To determine substantial equivalency, the credentialing evaluation entity shall use a Course Work Tool (CWT) adopted by the FSBPT and approved by the board.
- To determine substantial equivalency, the entity shall use the version of the CWT in place at the time of entry by the applicant into the US.
- To be considered substantially equivalent to the requirements established in this rule, the applicant's foreign education must contain evidence of the content and distribution of coursework identified in the appropriate coursework evaluation tool identified in Paragraph D.3 of this rule.
- An evaluation prepared by a credentialing agency reflects only the findings and conclusion of that agency, and shall not bind the board. If the board determines that the applicant's education is not substantially equivalent to an entry-level physical therapy program accredited by CAPTE, the board will notify the applicant in writing, identifying the deficiencies.
Step 8: Interview with Board Representative
The purpose of the interview is to discuss license requirements, fees, examination process, renewal requirements, and continuing education; practice issues including prohibitions, disciplinary procedures, supervision of support personnel and temporary permit holders.
Upon receipt of completed application and payment of fees, a personal interview will be scheduled with a Board Representative at the Board office in Lafayette. Applicants must present the following ORIGINAL documents at the time of the interview in order to obtain a license to practice physical therapy in Louisiana:
- Original Physical Therapy or Physical Therapist Assistant Diploma. If you can not locate your diploma, you may request from your graduating school that they send the Board your transcript. The transcript must not be a copy and must be mailed directly from the school to the Board.
- Proper form of identification - Original U.S. Passport. If you do not have a passport, you may present your Original Driver's License and Social Security Card.
Please refer to your checklist for updates on your application status.
The application fee must be submitted in the form of a domestic cashier's check or a money order and made payable to the
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. A personal check is not acceptable and your application will be returned.
A license issued to an applicant for the first time shall be for a term of one year or two years, to be determined by the birth year of the applicant (Rule §175.C). THIS FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE
- Even Birth Year & Odd Application Year $250
- Odd Birth Year & Even Application Year $250
- Even Birth Year & Even Application Year $390
- Odd Birth Year & Odd Application Year $390