Reciprocity for PTs and PTAs (Non-Foreign Educated Therapists)
Read completely prior to beginning the application process. It is advised that applicants follow the steps in the order they are written.
Step 1: Set up a User Account and Apply Online
- Located at the bottom of the Home page, select “Apply for a License”.
- Click on “No account? Sign up!”.
- Select “New Applicant”,type in your information, and create a password.
*It is recommended that applicants do not to use a university email address as most students eventually lose access to their school email accounts.*
- Click “Create Account”.
- Log in using the email address and password that you used to create your account. It will take you to your Dashboard.
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam - All applicants must make a 75% or higher to pass the Board's online jurisprudence. The exam is free of charge and consists of 40 questions from the Louisiana Practice Act and Rules.
• To take the exam online, click the link at the top of your Dashboard, and then click on “Jurisprudence Exam”
- Complete the Online Application - Click the link at the top of your Dashboard, or go to www.laptboard.org/apply
• Please be advised that once you complete the online application, you will not be able go back and edit it. If you are planning to graduate, put your school’s name and anticipated graduation date on the application.
• Print and sign each page of the completed application. The Applicant’s Oath will need to be signed and notarized
• Mail the entire packet, along with all other information stated in step 2 to the Board office
All information must be sent to the Board office at 2110 W Pinhook Road, Suite 202 Lafayette, LA 70508.
Emailed copies of your documents will NOT be accepted.
- Your complete, original, signed and notarized application.
- Official Transcript - The transcript must not be a copy and must be mailed directly from the school to the Board. When you request a final transcript from your institution, verify that the transcript states the date that the degree was conferred or awarded.
- Passport-Sized Photo - Submit one (1) 2 in. x 2in. recent passport-type photograph (taken within six (6) months of the application date) to be used for identification purposes. Computer-printed photos are not acceptable and will delay the processing of your application. Photos must be on standard photographic paper. Write your full name on the back of the photo and attach it to your application packet. *Photos must be only of the applicant and cannot include animals or other people. You must be fully dressed in the photo, no tank tops or other revealing clothing.
- Payment in the form of a domestic cashier's check or money order made payable to Louisiana Physical Therapy Board (see Fee Schedule for payment amount)
- Proper form of identification to prove identity and authorization to work in the United States. A copy of your social security card must be submitted. You must also submit a copy of your Driver's License (front and back) or your passport. If you are not a citizen of the United States, submit proper documentation evidencing that you have obtained legal authority to work in the United States. *Please do not submit originals as they will not be mailed back.
Step 3: Complete Background Check
All applicants must complete the online application prior to starting the background check process.
Completion time varies from 1 to 8 weeks, depending on circumstances. Criminal history rap sheet findings will extend the completion time. Note that inadequate fingerprints and incorrect payment amount (either too much or too little) will result in delays with the Louisiana State Police.
Option 1: Mail forms, payment, and fingerprint cards to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Recommended for applicants who are not able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 6-8 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option A.
Option 2: Present in-person to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Recommended for applicants who are able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 2-3 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option B.
COVID-19 Note for Option 2: With the Covid-19 event, LSP has made adjustments to the way they do business as follows. Due to limited seating, they are asking that only the person being fingerprinted enter the building. You MUST be wearing a mask to enter the building. Please make sure you come with the appropriate Authorization Form (with the Board information and contact signature at the top) and a Rap Disclosure form completed, driver license /DL and payment (money orders, debit/credit card). All money orders must be made payable to Louisiana State Police.
Resources for completing the Background Check
If you have ever taken a US administered national physical therapy or physical therapy assistant licensing examination, in this state or any other state for the profession for which you are now making application, you must disclose your examination results to this Board.
If you have taken the National Physical Therapy Examination with the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT), you must request your scores be transferred to this Board by the FSBPT Score Transfer Service at https://www.fsbpt.org.
Step 5: Verification of licensure from all states in which you currently hold a license/permit OR have ever been licensed
If you have ever been licensed, certified or registered (including temporary permits) to practice physical therapy, you must provide written verification for each jurisdiction in which you were granted a permit or license. Contact the licensing board from which you are requesting verification for their instructions. Written verification of licensure must be forwarded directly from the licensing board to the Louisiana Physical Therapy Board.
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board
2110 W Pinhook Road
Lafayette, LA 70508
Step 6: Continuing Education Compliance
Please mail copies of your continuing education certificates with your application packet. Emailed copies will NOT be accepted.
Provide proof in the form of completed course certificates of continuing education compliance from all jurisdictions in which the applicant has held an active license in the previous 24 months along with a personal statement explaining the requirements of each jurisdiction.
All current year new graduates applying via reciprocity are exempt from supplying proof of continuing education credits. Provide a statement in your application for licensure notifying the board that you are a new graduate.
Please refer to your checklist for updates on your application status.
The application fee must be submitted in the form of a domestic cashier's check or a money order and made payable to the
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. A personal check is not acceptable and your application will be returned.
A license issued to an applicant for the first time shall be for a term of one year or two years, to be determined by the birth year of the applicant (Rule §175.C). THIS FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Even Birth Year & Odd Application Year $250
- Odd Birth Year & Even Application Year $250
- Even Birth Year & Even Application Year $390
- Odd Birth Year & Odd Application Year $390