Initial/Examination Military-Trained PTA
A passing score on the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) is required prior to being issued a provisional license to complete the supervised clinical period.
Step 1: Set up a User Account and Apply Online
- From an Internet Browser, go to www.laptboard.org.
- Located at the bottom of the Home page, select “Apply for a License”.
- Click on “No account? Sign up!”.
- Select “I am a New Applicant” and type in your first name, last name, email address, and create a password.
- Click “Create Account”.
- Log in using your email address and password that you used to create your account. It will take you to your Dashboard.
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam - All applicants must make a 75% or higher to pass the Board's online jurisprudence. The exam is free of charge and consists of 20 questions from the Louisiana Practice Act and Rules.
• To take the exam online, click the link at the top of your Dashboard.
- Complete the Online Application - Click the link at the top of your Dashboard, or go to www.laptboard.org/apply.
• Please be advised that once you complete the online application, you will not be able go back and edit it.
• Print and sign each page of the completed application. The Applicant’s Oath will need to be signed and notarized.
• Mail the entire packet, along with all other information stated in step 2 to the Board office.
All information must be sent to the Board office at 2110 W Pinhook Road, Suite 202 Lafayette, LA 70508.
- Your complete, original, signed and notarized application.
- Passport-Sized Photo - Submit one (1) recent passport type and size photograph (taken within six (6) months of the application date) to be used for identification purposes. Write your full name on the back on the photo. Please attach your photo to your application packet. *Photos must be only of the applicant and cannot include animals or other people.
- Payment in the form of a domestic cashier's check or money order made payable to Louisiana Physical Therapy Board (see Fee Schedule for payment amount)
- Proper form of identification to prove identity and authorization to work in the United States, if applicable. You may submit a copy of your Driver's License (front and back) and Social Security Card. You may substitute a copy of your passport for your Driver's License. If you are not a citizen of the United States, submit proper documentation evidencing the fact that you have obtained legal authority to work in the United States. *Please do not submit originals as they will not be mailed back.
*Emailed copies of your documents will NOT be accepted.
Step 3: Complete Background Check
An official background check report from the La State Police must be received by the LAPT Board office prior to the board office being able to make candidates eligible for the NPTE.
Completion time varies from 1 to 8 weeks, depending on circumstances. Criminal history rap sheet findings will extend the completion time. Note that inadequate fingerprints and incorrect payment amount (either too much or too little) will result in delays with the Louisiana State Police.
** Fee increase for Background Checks **
Effective January 1, 2019, the background check processing fee will be $39.25 (it is currently $38).
Option 1: Mail forms, payment, and fingerprint cards to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Recommended for applicants who are not able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 6-8 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option A.
Option 2: Present in-person to the LSP Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Recommended for applicants who are able to be physically present at the LSP Headquarters. Completion time for this option is approximately 2-3 weeks.
For more information, click the “Instructions” link below and read Option B.
Step 4: Register for the NPTE
Visit www.fsbpt.org for more details.
Once you take the exam, FSBPT will send the Board your score report.
§169.A. The Board adopts a criterion–referenced passing point of 600 which is based on a scale ranging from 200 to 800.
NOTE: You may apply for a provisional license pending examination. To obtain a provisional license, you must complete all required procedures plus submit a Supervisory Request Form to the Board office.
Step 6: Credentials Evaluation
A Military-Trained PTA applicant must submit to the board a credentials evaluation of professional education and training prepared by a board-approved credentialing entity using the Course Work Tool. The board will maintain a list of approved credentialing entities on its website. The credential report must have been prepared no more than eighteen months prior to the date of the application for licensure, and must be submitted to the board directly by the credential evaluation agency. The applicant is responsible for any expense associated with the credentials evaluation.
- The credentials evaluation must provide documentation that the applicant's education from outside a state or territory of the US is substantially equivalent to the education of a PT who has graduated from a physical therapy education program accredited by CAPTE. The evaluation must also establish that the institution at which the applicant received his physical therapy education is recognized by the Ministry of Education or an equivalent agency in that country.
- To determine substantial equivalency, the credentialing evaluation entity shall use a Course Work Tool (CWT) adopted by the FSBPT and approved by the board.
- To determine substantial equivalency, the entity shall use the version of the CWT in place at the time of entry by the applicant into the US.
- To be considered substantially equivalent to the requirements established in this rule, the applicant's foreign education must contain evidence of the content and distribution of coursework identified in the appropriate coursework evaluation tool identified in Paragraph D.3 of this rule.
- An evaluation prepared by a credentialing agency reflects only the findings and conclusion of that agency, and shall not bind the board. If the board determines that the applicant's education is not substantially equivalent to an entry-level physical therapy program accredited by CAPTE, the board will notify the applicant in writing, identifying the deficiencies.
The application fee must be submitted in the form of a domestic cashier's check or a money order and made payable to the
Louisiana Physical Therapy Board. A personal check is not acceptable and your application will be returned.
A license issued to an applicant for the first time shall be for a term of one year or two years, to be determined by the birth year of the applicant (Rule §175.C). THIS FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE
- Even Birth Year & Odd Application Year $250
- Odd Birth Year & Even Application Year $250
- Even Birth Year & Even Application Year $390
- Odd Birth Year & Odd Application Year $390